GrovePi Lesson: Inventing
What is inventing and how does the Engineering Design Process assist with inventing? This lesson introduces inventing, the nature of technology, and the engineering design process. We will begin to think about an Invention to create with the GrovePi kit.
We learn about and begin the Engineering Design Process, and start an Engineering Design Notebook. We use the notebook with the remaining lessons as we learn about Scratch programming and about each of the sensors and devices in the GrovePi Kit.
Time to complete:
- 3 to 5 hrs for activities
- Optional Exercises are additional 2 to 3 hrs
What We Will Learn
- Demonstrate understanding of inventing and the Engineering Design Process.
- Begin the process of Engineering Design for a device for the Internet of Things or a Science Project.
- Plan and manage activities to complete a project and use an Engineering Design Notebook to document the plan and activities.
- Brainstorm ideas with a group and record brainstorming notes.
- Evaluate competing design solutions using a systematic process to determine how well they meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.
- Demonstrate understanding of Optimization: In order to arrive at the best solution that meets criteria within constraints, it is often necessary to make trade-offs.
- Collaborate with peers, experts, and others using collaborative practices such as pair programming, working in project teams, and participating in group active learning activities.
What You Need
- Computer with Internet Access
- Raspberry Pi and GrovePi assembled together with SD card (from Getting Started lesson)
- GrovePi Starter Kit information from prior lesson
- Headset or speakers (to listen to video)
- Items for Brainstorming session: Large sheet of paper or butcher paper, markers, sticky notes OR mindmap software with mindmap shared among the group
What to Do
- Open the Worksheet document. The worksheet contains a checklist for you to check off items as you complete them, some questions to answer as you work through the activities, and optional Exercises.
- Watch the concept videos and review the vocabulary words.
- Then view the following items and complete the assigned activities and optional exercises in the Worksheet. Give the filled-out worksheet to your instructor at the completion of this lesson.